Monday, January 11, 2016

Fresh Caught Thirty Paintings In Thirty Days Day Ten by Norma Wilson


Fresh Caught


© Norma Wilson, original oil on canvas 5" by 7

150.



This is another piece that I painted awhile back and it just didn't set right until I had time to percolate on it and realize that I had put too much color in the background and not enough contrast in surrounding the bird who is the star of the show.  I loved how the light danced along his edges.  So I toned down the background using a several washes of ultramarine blue and some burnt sienna as well.  Then I grayed the water a bit and darkened his underbelly while at the same time lightening the water under him.  I also worked on the darks a bit more under and between his wings.  I am much more pleased now that he stands out and that the background recedes.  I like it so much that I am considering doing a larger version.  Just have to complete these thirty days first! :-)



No comments: