Monday, July 25, 2016

Advantages Of Toning Your Canvas



Contact Artist About This Piece



I have been REALLY busy preparing for two big events coming up this weekend. Today I completed painting, varishing, wiring, naming, pricing, and cataloging twenty two pieces of art for my show in Onancock, Virginia at The Red Queen Gallery. I haven't posted any of these pieces. The opening will be on Saturday from 3-6. The show will be up until August 25th. I hope you will be able to stop by if you are in the area. 

The second event is Paint Night at the Richard Stravitz Gallery on 30th Street and Atlantic Ave. in Virginia Beach. We will be having a great time with drinks, hors d'oeuvres, and creativity oozing from our brushes. Our subject matter is...surprise, surprise! A Cow!  Today I was toning our canvases red so we will be
off to an exciting start and ready for my students to begin their paintings. I often tone my canvases before beginning a painting. Sometimes I choose red and other times, I might just do a very abstract looking undercoat with all kinds of crazy color. It helps get me in the painting mode and some times makes for a more interesting painting with little bits of unexpected color showing through. 



So, I am a big fan of toning and I also think it takes away that feeling for beginners of all that white canvas yet to cover. Come join the fun and if you can't join us, grab a brush and some paint and decorate a canvas!

No comments: