Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sweet LIttle Sparrow


Sweet Little Sparrow
6" by 6" original oil on wrap around canvas board
150.

SOLD

The sparrow that is twittering on the edge of my balcony is calling up to me this moment a world of memories that reach over half my lifetime, and a world of hope that stretches farther than any flight of sparrows.
Donald G. Mitchell

I loved this quote...it really struck a chord.  Before I decided to paint a sparrow I thought about all the sparrows I  used to watch as a child growing up in Philadelphia.  We didn't have many trees in my neighborhood...lots of row houses and concrete but we did have many electrical wires that the birds loved to sit on and there were some that stretched outside of my window.  They are sweet little birds that blend into the environment and don't wow us with color but have lovely markings and catch the light on their pretty white breasts.  I enjoyed a peaceful afternoon today working on this little guy.
I spoke to my sister yesterday who lives in Massachusetts and she said they were predicting snow!  That really always amazes me every year when it is still in the 70's during the late day here.  The nights are starting to get a bit chilly but Bailee and I are still enjoying our walks and often see surfers in the ocean...with their shortie wet suits and some brave souls without them.  When I lived at Chesapeake...which is only thirty minutes drive west of the oceanfront, I just didn't think about all this activity by the water.  It is pretty neat to see how much people are drawn to the vast ocean whether to stroll along with their dogs, or read quietly by the surf, or feel the call of the waves and grab their boards and head in whenever they get a chance.  I met some neighbors the other day who have a wonderful collection of art...all surf related as he is an avid surfer and has competed his whole life.  Guess I had better get some good pictures of my son and his friends this summer and try my hand at painting some surfers! Hope you week is going well and I appreciate your checking in with me!     







No comments: